Heart of a Gypsy

A journey in the pursuit of happiness

Time just flies

I have had my daughter Chelsea staying with me this week and it's been wonderful.  She has had to go into the city every day for a work placement through school and I happen to live very close to the train station.  So close in fact that sometimes it sounds like the train is hurtling through my living room.


It's hard to believe that in just 18 months my daughters will be finished school and will be making their own way in the world.  Chelsea is keen to be an events organiser in a big hotel or entertainment complex and I think she will be very good at it.  She seems to be the one amongst her many friends who gets things done and she is definitely a go getter who wants to take life by the scruff of the neck and wring every last drop out of it.  She'll go far I think.




Emily originally started to pursue a career in hospitality but even before she had done her work placement a couple of weeks ago, she had started to have second thoughts.  Emily is the complete opposite to Chelsea in every way imaginable.  She is a home body who doesn't really go out of her way to be sociable.  Occasionally she will go to a party or hang out with her friends but she's mostly happy in her own little world.  She likes her computer and TV and doesn't seem to have any lofty dreams as yet. 


Emily has now changed her focus to Child Care and I think that would suit her perfectly.  She loves babies and little children and in fact already helps to teach the babies dance class after her own class has finished on a Wednesday.  It's really cute because at the end of the lesson all these little ones chorus together "thankyou Miss Emily".  I think Emily will just cruise through life at her own pace and she won't be hurried by anyone and that's ok.

We are all different in what we hope to get out of life.



Looking back now I know I could have achieved much greater things than I have but I was a different person when I was a fresh faced teenager and young adult.  I was content with the way things were and was happy to just coast along.  I don't look at the world the same way at all now.  If I don't like something in my life or can see room for improvement I am not content to just let it lie.  Maybe it's the passing of time or maybe it's because as those numbers increase in that Age box I have become more aware of my mortality and the need for action before it's too late.

This weekend the girls and I are going to the dressmakers to pick up their ball gowns for the Presentation Ball we are all going to in August through school.  I guess it's a bit like a prom and it will be very formal.  They are both going to be dressed in white and when we went for a fitting last week I got a huge lump in my throat because they almost looked like brides.  I just know I am going to cry when I see the finished gown on them.


Where on earth did those chubby faced, cherubic little girls go?  Now they are driving, they're in Senior School and they are dipping their toes in the employment pool to get a taste of what's ahead.



I see my beautiful girls becoming women before my very eyes and I hope for so much for them. I hope they find a job that will not only support them but give them great satisfaction. I want to protect them from harm or from being hurt, but realistically I know I can't do that. I think adversity helps to shape us into better human beings. We all have to suffer at some point or how will we recognise what's good and important in our lives if we don't have any concept of the more negative, destructive aspects that are always just waiting to pounce.


I hope they fall in love and have that person love them just as deeply. Most of all I hope that all their dreams, big or small, come true.


It's so hard to let them go but my job is almost over and it's time to let them loose.  I just hope I have taught them enough to be the best they can be.

11 comments:

It's hard isn't it? My 16 year old is possibly ending her school life in a couple of weeks. I worry about her future so much.

You all look very beautiful. :)

In reference to me blogging, I just feel I sound like a tired old record, just saying the same crap over and over again! Sometimes I bore myself! :D

 

Lovely ladies, all of you.

I know that my mom's incredible love and attachment for me broke her heart on many occasions and letting me go to do the things she knew I needed to do probably did the most damage. I always kept that in mind when I made my decisions (and still do) because after all she'd done for me, I never wanted to disappoint her.

I can be positive that your daughters feel the same way. :)

 

A very poignant post. I have been down with my daughter and grand-daughter this week (my husband has three grandchildren whom I love sharing, but this my first and only blood-related grandchild, and she's just adorable at 2 months). I never expected I'd have a grandchild of my own, as my daughter waited until 39 to take the plunge. But now she's settled with a wonderful husband, and watching them both dote on this gorgeous little baby is a delight. But I'm also re-experiencing for this little one all the anxious feelings of protectiveness and fear I once knew for her mother. And I'm being reminded how much risk there is in loving - you want so much for them and feel every one of their pains like a small knife thrust in your own heart. But what a reward there they provide, eh?

 

OMGosh, look how they have grown up...and beautiful, just like their momma. It IS hard to let them go, isn't it? They will do just fine, they will exceed all of you hopes. Wait and see. I hope you are happy, Gypsy. At our age -- good hell, we deserve to be HAPPY. Big hugs, :)

 

We let our loved ones out on a tether called the heartstring, through its attachment we are always a part of them and they us.

 

LL Cool Joe: In regards to you blogging Joey, I think we all start to feel like that after a while but for what it's worth I can honestly say I have never been bored when I've visited your blog. Never. I hope you don't give it up but on the other hand you need to do what's right for you. I'm just being selfish.


Iamheatherjo: I know how much your mum meant to you and I'm sure she is so proud of you and the woman you have become. I know I disappointed my mum at times but we all have to test the boundaries don't we? On the whole though I have always strived to get my mum's approval because I want her to be as proud of me as I am of my own daughters.


Chartreuse: Lovely to see you again and how lovely that you got to spend time with your new granddaughter. We will always worry about our children no matter how old they get and sometimes it can be a bit trying especially those wonderful teenage years. But I wouldn't give up the pure joy of seeing my daughters become the gorgeous people they are today for anything.


Jamie: Aw thanks Jamie. Yes they have grown since you last saw them. I still haven't quite recovered from the whole driving lesson thing and my heart still clenches with anxiety every time I see them take off in the car. They're good girls and haven't caused us any real angst as yet. I feel confident they will be happy in life and I will always be there to catch them if they fall.


Bear: That was really beautiful Bear and describes the way it is perfectly. Thankyou.

 

It's both scary and amazing to see our children grow up and out into the world. You have beautiful daughters, Gypsy, who are blessed to have a mother like you. I think they will spread their wings and soar knowing they always have a safe place to land.

 

I am on the brink of facing this myself with Nick turning 15 this weekend. I worry what will become of him as an adult in this harsh world and hope I have prepared him well enough.

Your daughters sound very sensible and mature and are a credit to you. I am sure they will both have a very bright future, but of course, as Mums we worry!!

 

Talon: Thanks so much Talon. Parenting is such a HUGE responsibility isn't it? Caring for these little helpless babies and teaching them right up until adulthood...it's a privilege and an honour and all you can hope is that your best was good enough. I haven't done a lot right in my life but I think I've been a good mum on the whole.


Selma: I don't think it matters how old are kids get either, we will always worry.

When is Nick's birthday? Chelsea and Emily's is on Friday, 17th June.

 

Nick's is the 11th June. Wow. They're close together. Hope your girls have a brilliant birthday on Friday!

 

Selma: He must be a beautiful boy if he's a Gemini. I've always found them to be lovely people.